Thursday, January 20, 2011

The concept of a fast marathon

Fast marathon means under 3 hours (to me). I used to see this goal as an easily obtainable
one. Not now. Not in these days of running alone. When it's convenient to run, run. Convenience being highly correlated with motivation. Which seems always low. Yet when I do, it is fun. Not torture. Though I'm, for a runner, a fat boy, and I'm not exactly pursuing a pristine diet. But the thing is, I could run with dudes in Davis but I don't think I want to. Here's the thing about runners: we're boring. All they want to talk about is times, events, strategy, and distance. Boring. When I was a passable runner in Tucson, I ran with guys who talked about the band they saw last night, the various reasons why people die (we concluded age was a contributing factor), and preferred cocktail. I'm sure there is a group here that would satisfy this anti-runner mentality...but I haven't found them. SO it is all good. I ran today after 3 hours of teaching duration analysis (ironic)....here is the stats...

4k@17:09--6:54 mpm pace
2k@8:17--6:40 mpm pace
1k@4:06--6:36 mpm pace
1k@4:03--6:31 mpm pace

In other words, pretty freaking slow. OR, fast. Depending on how you look at it.

I'm not sure how I'm looking at it.

Best.
Brad

No comments:

Post a Comment