Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Time is Running Out and HOLY CR@P


Today was a good run mostly.  I can tell that despite my efforts to do otherwise, I'm getting fitter.  Fit=running faster and more easily...losing some lbs on my boiler.  Ran 7.6 or so @ 7:20 pace and it felt pretty easy.  Blood sugar levels are always fluctuating and that always impedes my running...but this isn't anything new.  Thanks for GU. 

Met up w/Arlen at Arboretum and we did our wonderful Zia lunch...always a simple highlight of my week and her's as well.  Good times.  Easy.

It is almost 2 weeks until I tow the line in Calistoga and run to Napa.  It's apparently about 26.2 miles to do that.  I signed up to run the NVM because my Tucson guys were all coming to run it...I think they still are.  I'll make a prediction of my time in advance but I'm not so sure how optimistic I am about it.

If you look at the course profile (see map), it looks mostly downhill but there are some rollers (but see my post a few weeks back where I ran part of the course).  Still, I thought the course looked "out-of-shape-friendly" until...I read this:

"The Napa and Boston courses are similar to each other in many ways,"Beardsley said. "They're both rolling, point-to-point, and potentially fast if you run them intelligently. And, Napa has its own rendition of (Boston's) Heartbreak Hill at 20 miles."

Now my whole life, I've understood the following: the Boston Marathon course is f*cking tough.  I've also known, most of my running life, that Dick Beardsley knows his stuff.  SOOOOOOOOOO....Dick says NVM course is like Boston and Boston is a tough course. If Dick is credible, then things could get ugly on the Silverado Trail (main road on the NVM course). 

Still, I'm trying to be optimistic.   

And I'll do fine. 

Out. Brad  

No comments:

Post a Comment