Tuesday, February 1, 2011

David Lowery's "The Palace Guards"

News of the day: David  Lowery's solo album, "The Palace Guards" released; 2.5 hours of teaching regression diagnostics; a must-do run that was hard to get motivated for.  I'll discuss regression diagnostics and my run later. 

First things first.  I've simplified my music interests.  This devolution has unfolded over about an 18-20 year period.  Probably longer.  It's no lie that my favorite band ever...and this will never change...is The Replacements.  The derivatives from The Mats...Paul Westerberg, Tommy Stinson, Chris Mars, Slim Dunlap and so on (though I suppose there is not much more "so on" to this) "count" in my accounting scheme as Replacements-related.  But the news, for now, isn't about the Placemats.

My second favorite band of all time...this too won't change (I guess this is ossification?)...is Cracker.  Over the past 19 or so years, the Cracker Brand has released some of the best American rock that has ever been offered.   That's not hyperbole.  One must just listen.  A few years back, Johnny Hickman, Cracker's co-founder, released one of the best records of the first decade of the 2000s, "Palmhenge." It took a few more years for David Lowery, the other co-founder (and co-founder of the iconic Camper Van Beethoven) to finally release his solo record.  That release date was today.

Which made today a very good day.

While I could have ordered this record on-line (for about half the price I paid), there is still something exciting about knowing that an anticipated release is  there, waiting at a real record store, for me to show up and buy it.  That store: Armadillo Music in Davis, CA.  It's a hole-in-the-wall truly independent music store.  Small but eclectic, it actually makes me happy to buy stuff there not only for the music I am getting but for the small, admittedly meager support given to an indie record store.

So I got David Lowery's solo record, "The Palace Guards."  And love it.  I'm obviously not a rock critic and I've already announced my bias: I love Cracker.  So I'm sure I cannot give an unbiased review (so I won't try).  Nevertheless, I can say the record is incredible  in many ways.  The diversity of the topics David Lowery conjures up, decides to discuss, or randomly comments upon is vast, thought-provoking and funny all in turns. This, by the way, extends beyond the music and into the liner notes (yes, there are real liner notes).  Yet despite the diversity of subject matter we get here,  through it all, it is wonderfully tied together by a vivid, emotive, thread, sometimes ethereal, sometimes palpable, sometimes dark, and sometimes, terribly sad.   In the liner notes, David Lowery references the late Mark Linkous (Sparklehorse), a personal friend of his (and of other Cracker and CVB members).  Since I'm not a musician, I really don't know anything about recording or playing...but some of the thread that binds this record (in my ears) echoes, channels, or what have you, elements of Sparklehorse's Vivadixiesubmarinetransmissionplot.  Just subtly.  Just a part of a larger picture David Lowery paints here.  Songs held together without overtly being held together by anything.

I've not listened enough times to comment on my favorite songs.  Yes I like them all.  I'm sure I'll like some more than others.  I find "Marigold" to be beautiful.  But is it my favorite?  I don't know.

I do know that if you read this, love good music then get up tomorrow, go to that record store, and pick up this  record.  Or order it on Amazon or some other site.

Yeah. I am biased in my assessment.  But I'm pretty sure I'm right!

Out,
Brad

PS: I'm proud to say I've met the artist who produced the illustrations, the great Michael Wertz.  Michael is great because he is one of my many Facebook friends who I actually DID meet (had a beer with, 12/2010...fun time).  AND, the inside photo of DL was taken by Julie Bradlow, who I happy to claim as a friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment